Monday, April 27, 2009

Vacation or Not


On May 14th I will be departing from Houston, Texas to Cancun, Mexico. What I thought was going to be a vacation from reality is turning into a trip of uncertainty. Everyday that I turn on my televison I hear something different about the drug wars in Mexico. People are being killed in different cities in Mexico, which is not a great feeling. Now in the last week or so the news has been full of coverage about the Swine Flu, which is beginning to sread rapidly.

The drug wars and the Swine Flu have been in the media everyday. At first I thought that the media was taking these topics overboard, but now I know that they are very serious issues. The Swine Fue has already killed more than 80 people in Mexico City in two weeks. The drug wars didn't really concern me, but this deadly flu is kind of scary when you think about it! People in Mexico city are walking around the city with surgical masks on their faces to prevent chances of catching the Swine Flu. When I planned my trip to Mexico I had intentions of relaxing, having a few beverages (alcoholic), and sitting on the beach all day. Now that there are so many issues in the country I am not sure that my trip will be this relaxing. I am not even sure if I still want to go ont the trip.

I realize that these are serious issues, but I wonder if the media is making these issues bigger than they really are. I am not in the country so all I have to rely on is what I read and see on the televison. Needless to say, I am not very excited about this trip anymore, but it could still be fun.

UPDATE: MY TRAVEL PLANS HAVE CHANGED. I AM NO LONGER GOING TO MEXICO. NOW I AM GOING TO SAN, JUAN PUERTO RICO!

No comments:

Post a Comment