Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Reality TV


Long gone are the days of traditional television sitcoms. Today it seems as if everyone is addicted to reality television. I think that the first major reality television movement was when survivor made its debut. Survivor was such a hit, but it quickly got old because it followed the same format every season. I find myself liking shows and then eventually getting tiered of them because you can usually predict what is going to happen.

The problem with reality television is that it is not really reality. Most of the television shows are scripted for television audiences. For example, Flava Flave set out to find love on his reality show Flavor of Love, but he never found love. Flava Flave signed a contract with VH1 to star in three reality shows, which is proof that his love was designed to fail. Many people get caught up in reality TV, although, it is obvious that the shows are not real. After Flavor of Love there has been two reality TV shows modeled after it, I love New York and For the Love of Ray J. I told myself that I would not watch these reality shows because they are full of drama, but I find myself tuning in for every show.

For celebrities reality television has become a way for past stars to revive their careers. For example, Paula Abdul stars as one of the judges on American Idol since the inception of the show. Paula Abdul was a major music icon in the 90s, but now in this generation she is not as popular. By Paula staring on American Idol she has been able to bring fame back to her name. She is known as the caring and empathetic judge that always believes that people perform well. After many seasons American Idol is still going strong.

I think that the main thing that people like about reality TV is the drama. Reality TV ratings will continue to soar as longs as people are provided with juicy gossip and (non)reality.

1 comment: