Monday, April 27, 2009

Twitter

Earlier this semester in media class we discussed how popular Twitter is becoming. Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that enables its users to send and read other user's updates known as tweets. Twitter was established in 2006, but it has taken about three years for it to become very popular. When I first learned about the concept of Twitter I was not interested. I told myself that I would just stick to facebook and update my status on there. That is exactly what I did. I continued to facebook and never opened a Twitter account.

I have friends that are on Twitter and they claim that they are chatting with the celebrities, which seems a bit unrealistic. I didn’t understand how you could really tell if you are talking to a real celebrity or to some person that has a fake account. Personally I really wasn’t very interested in following someone else’s thoughts, for I have enough of my own thoughts in my head. I continued to tell myself that I would not get a Twitter because it would be a waste of my time.

Well, a few weeks passed and the buzz about Twitter continued to increase. News stations have started to advertise a news Twitter at the end of news broadcasts. When making the band was coming on P.Diddy told viewers to follow him on Twitter. Then while I was in class one of my classmates was on her cell phone secretly on Twitter while our professor was teaching. When I logged on to my faithful facebook the first thing that I saw was a status update that said, “follow me on Twitter”. I had enough of Twitter, so when I got home I had to log on to Twitter to see what it was about. Once I logged on I found a friend and looked at her Twitter updates. Everything that she wrote about was very random and I really didn’t care that she was having these thoughts. After being on the Twitter website for about five minutes I had this urge to join, and I did.

Although I have a Twitter account I still have not become addicted to the popular social network. Twitter still has not grown on me, but I have an account just in case I would like to join the millions of people that Twitter daily. Twitter seems kind of creepy to me, but it is surely becoming a norm.

No comments:

Post a Comment