Monday, March 23, 2009

Automated Voices

In multimedia class the topic of automated voices was discussed. Prior to discussing automated voices in class I never really thought how surrounded I am by the voices. I think that most people actually accept the voices as people because they are so life like. The voices speak to us as if they have feelings, emotions, and empathy, but since the automated machines are not human they don't posses any of those qualities. Although the voices are accepted people are being cheated out of having personal interactions with other humans.

When I worked at Six Flags Astroworld automated voices were all around me, but I just accepted the voices as if they were coming from people. Periodically throughout the day voices would speak over the park wide intercom, the rides had automated voices to give instructions, and the front gate had voices to greet people. The automated phrase that I remember the most is probably from the ride Ultra Twister. Every 10 seconds the speaker in the station would repeat the phrase, "moving conveyor, please watch your step." Because I heard the voice and the message so much, I learned to tune the phrase out.

I think that automated voices are sort of strange because they are accepted as people. When we call places an automated voice may answer the phone while you wait to speak with a real customer service representative. I believe that many customer services departments are failing around the world because they are decreasing the amount of personal contact that customers receive. Sometimes I find it very annoying when I call a business and I can't get any human contact. Although, the voices are usually very polite I usually hang up on them.

I know with the evolution of technology more automated voices will appear, but I am not ready to accept this change. I believe that human contact is essential to every human being. The kind words that machines speak are taking the place of human contact, which I don't believe is good. Why can't we have elevator operators to greet people? Why can't we have humans greet us when we call customer services lines? I know that many companies resort to the use of automated voices because it is cheaper, but not necessarily good for business.

1 comment:

  1. You raise some really good questions at the end of your post, Bart, and I would even go further to suggest that in some cases the automated voice systems are far less efficient than human interaction--in some situations, a voice will ask you to enter information orally and not comprehend what you are saying--in some cases, you have to hang up in frustration, and neither party gets what they want (their service or your business).

    ReplyDelete